Monday, January 18, 2010

Apple Flax Muffins

Yummy Muffins!

I can't go long without talking about food. Now that I am trying to stay in shape, I think about what I eat much more often...So I have these yummy muffins I make so when I don't have time to take time to make something healthy, I just grab one of these babies!

Flax and Apple Muffins
1/4 cup milled flax seed
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour (I find they get kind of heavy otherwise)
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1-1/2 cups chopped apples (or any fruit works)
3 tbsp pumpkin, apple sauce, flax seed meal, or cranberry sauce (can use veg oil instead, but I try to cut on fat)
1/2 cup milk (soy milk OK)
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Blend the dry ingredients in one bowl. Blend egg, pumpkin (whatever you used in that step), and milk. Add dry ingredients until just blended. Fold in apples and nuts (batter will be thick). Fill well-greased (I used Pam) muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Yield 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment