Monday, January 18, 2010

Breakfast

Breakfast is always a challenge for me. The easy thing to do is grab a breakfast sandwich from some general store...or McDonald's - depending on which way I am heading. Of course, that leads to my butt growing by unbelievable proportions...that, and I am really making an effort to eat non-processed stuff without synthetic crap in it....Which, by the way is not easy, because processed food with high fructose corn syrup and unpronouceables is so darn easy and convenient....So, what to do? My friend Tam came up with this awesome breakfast that is so yummy. You can mix and match this one around and add nuts, fresh or dried fruit (I always use organic when I can find it, living in Caratunk makes that no small feat).

Oats and Nuts ~ Trust me guys, it is better than it sounds...
I never measure, but I will try...Now the oats - I keep a batch of roasted oats on hand in a Ball Jar, but also use the raw ones once in a while...either is really yummy. Next time I roast them I will post on it and take a pictures..(it is easy, throw the oats on a cookie sheet, mix with maple syrup, bake at 350 until golden...20 minutes or so)

But, here is my favorite breakfast (right now)

1/2 cup oats (raw or toasted)
1/2 cup...I use nuts, seeds, dry fruit, chopped apple or pear, banana...but mix and match as you see fit.
~ I add a few shakes of cinnamon, and some flax seeds
Vanilla soy milk, or regular milk

Throw the oats in the bowl, throw the fruit/nuts on top, add cinnamon/flax seed if you wish, and then add milk. Eat...yummm

Heathlier Breakfast Sandwich ~ to Go!
So I also love breakfast sandwiches, but they are like a 500 calorie bomb that heads straight to my butt. How do you lighten it up? WELL, this is quick and easy, and you can be out the door quickly.

Whole Wheat English Muffin
Spray oil
2 eggs (1 whole egg, one egg white)
Sliced low-fat cheese (you pick the flavor)
I like it meatless, but you can add turkey bacon, turkey sausage, or Canadian bacon to this
Aluminum foil

Pull a small piece of aluminum foil (like 6-8 inches), tear and set aside. Put English Muffin in the toaster. Crack and separate eggs (get rid of one yolk), then beat them. Spray a small bowl with spray oil, put eggs in and put in microwave (covered with a paper towel). Cook for 1 minute, check to see if it is done, cook another 30 seconds until done. If you are using meat, put it on the cooked egg, then cheese on top. Take one half of the toasted English on top, holding it, turn the bowl over and remove, then put the other half of the English muffin on top to make a sandwich. Wrap in foil, and run out the door...Eat...yummmm

No comments:

Post a Comment